Sunday, May 10, 2009

3 Months Ago

Here are a few things I've been working on.
This was actually a Christmas present, a mistake rib scarf made from Lion Brand Wool. A matching hat was made but never quite finished, I ran out of yarn. I tried to make an inside-out hat, my first ever pattern that I wrote myself but have since found out it is in no way an original (start with 8 stitches increase to total hat and then eventually decrease and fold in half for double thickness) but really only had enough yarn for one hat, not two on top of each other.
And here is the new winter set I made my self. I am constantly loosing my hats and I saw someone downtown (Chicago) one day with a beautiful cabled scarf with an attached hood, and I new I was going to make one. I thought I would have to make up my own pattern but did a quick search on ravelry and actually found the exact pattern for a hoodie scarf that I had in my head (this actually does happen, who would have thunk it) Only made a few adjustments. I changed the cable to a 9-stitch braid and likewise changed all the ribbing to 3x3 to match the cable. Also, I added in some decreases on the hood part to curve off the top. But the best part is I added buttons and button holes to the end of the scarf.
It being very windy in Chicago my scarfs always fly over my shoulder and the only way I can get the end back is to take the whole thing off. The buttons let me wrap it around my face and keep it there. It is also crazy warm, perfect for those negative 30 days. The only bad thing about this scarf is that it is in no way reversible. Next time I would find a reversible cable, open braid maybe.
I made some fingerless mitts to match. Used a basic 2x2 rib pattern and altered it the same way as the hood (added the cable and made 3x3 rib) These are not so perfect for negative 30 days, and I wear my dollar store gloves under them. I'm thinking about making actual mittens to match next winter but will have to rip out these guys to finish, only have enough yarn left to make one mitten I think.

More to come with the other things I've been working on. Also, writing the pattern is a lot harder than I thought it would be. The actual directions and how I did it are all there but still working on the presentation. Now that school is over I might get it done soon (hopefully)

No comments: