Sunday, October 5, 2008

Guess who I meet yesterday!!!

I'm not going to tell you just yet. I have been up to a lot of stuff this past month and don't want things to be out of order or fall through the cracks. School started and I started watching west-wing again. And I'm talking all 7 seasons of west wing. I'm on season 5; starting with season 6 to the end and back to 1, so basically I'm almost done with my mad marathon. My husband can't wait. But needles to say that had is where I have been.





Ok, first project: A bag of bags.





My husband named it. He thought this project was completely ridiculous and would make fun of me by calling it a bag of bags, but I kind of like the name. This is actually my second target bag bag, the first one was done last April and was nowhere near as nice. It is a free pattern found here and the tutorial to make the target bag yarn is here. I'm sure you could do this with any plastic bag since she doesn't specify to use target bags but there are a few things that set target bags apart from all other plastic bags:


1) they are bigger than the average bag



2) they are thicker than the average bag



3) they have more color than the average bag (of course more second color, those all yellow or blue bags have more 'color' but not printed color)

All in all, target bags are the best; unless you go the route of Erica Knight's plarn where she used the heavy duty bags like from old navy. Where they are much bigger and thicker and more colorful. However, finding these kind of bags was more difficult for me (in this quantity) and plus I found cocoknits.com first.


My one warning to making this bag of bags is BUY A THIMBLE FIRST. If you don't like knitting with anything other than wool because of its elasticity, do not attempt this project. The plastic bags are very in elastic and you have to push the needle though while knitting. I honestly did not notice it in my first bag but then that one was much smaller. Only about 4" wide, 8" long and 12" tall. This second bag was 8" wide, 12" long and 13" tall. My finger hurt while knitting this. It was for my mom's birthday (and I was already late) so I toughed it out, but will definitely get a thimble before making another one.



Also, using a liner is necessary (unfortunately) The first bag I made needed to be finished that night and I didn't have any red fabric so I didn't put in a liner but the bachelor buttons came right though the 'fabric'. What I ended up doing was tying them in with more plarn but I have no idea how well they stayed in once the bag had stuff in it. Now that I think about it I really should call my friend and have her give it back to me to finish it. (I have no pic of the first bad)

No comments: