Sunday, October 19, 2008

Lets Add a Little Texture

The first pair of socks are done. I tried wearing them last Friday (finished last Thursday) but they hurt like mad when I put my feet in my shoes. I got as far as the train station and had to take them off. I washed them thinking that this would help. Well, they took over 2 hours to dry in the dryer!!! I hand washed them since I was afraid the dye would still come off (it did but don't know if there was enough to dye my clothes pink) and threw them in the dryer by them selves for about 1/2 hour while washing machine finished. Then add the load in with then, another hour and 1/4. The load of laundry dried completely, took it out and left the socks in there with the jeans and turned the heat up. They still did not dry in the last 1/2 so I had them air dry in the car. I really wanted to show them off. Well they felt much better but I really should take off a few stitches to wear with shoes. (yes, yes, I know that lama told me to reduce at least another 4 stitches but I just didn't listen) But after that drying escapade I just don't know if I will knit any more socks out of my cotton yarn.

On to my next project. I am just as unsure about the success of this one. I started on the Textured Tunic from Fitted Knits (the sweater pictured on the cover). I used the clearance yarn I got from JoAnns and now know why it was on clearance. The different colors look so nice in the skein but not so nice all knit up. When I first tried the sweater on with the front all finished, my hubby exclaimed that he would never be seen in public with me wearing it. That might be a bit rash on the colors, they aren't that bad. But they aren't perfect. Here it is with the front and back all finished.






Colors aside there were a many things not to like about this pattern. Do a quick search on Raverly, I'm not the only one with these complaints, but there are some things I love about the pattern that many people complained about.

1) the key hole at the neck line. I love it. This detail is why I wanted to knit the thing in the first place. True it does present a problem with the bra strap but I always have that problem (I have sloped shoulders so shirt and bra strap are always sliding off anyway)

2) cast on neck line rolls. I love it. Look at the pic in the book, I'm pretty sure it is mean to roll. I think the look is very cute and goes right along with the key hole.

3) not a fitted pattern. I made adjustments. This is the most disappointing thing about this pattern. Looking at the pics it looks VERY fitted but looking at the schematic it shows there is none. I reduced 16 stitches right after the textured section (k2tog sm ssk) at each end every other row 4 times. Then I increased 12 stitches back in the side slit set up rows using kfb and disguised it as a k1 p1 in the moss paneling.

4) the button tabs. I love/hate it. As written the button tabs would have created a key hole and I did not like that, so thanks to Raverly I was able to make a few adjustments with out froging that much. What I did was to knit 5 rounds after the side slit set up with out separating. Then when I did separate on round/row 6 I increased 1 stitch each end for the next 8 rows instead of the cast on 5 stitches each side in row 12. Then followed the rest of the pattern as is. I really liked how the buttons rested on the front hip bone and did not want them on the side of the hip so liked the idea of the tabs to wrap around. Just not the idea of having a big hole right on my love handles.

I'm still not to sure about the color, think it would work better with lots of cabling. I'm going to go ahead and finish the sleeves and wear it to work and then decide if the whole thing will be froged or not. (Let me know if you have an opinion on the color)

1 comment:

Rudee said...

I like it your textured tunic. I'm near the split on my hem and I added shaping too. Otherwise, I think it would have hung like a sack on my daughter. I'm going to think about your hem modifications.