Sunday, October 12, 2008

My Kind of Town Chicago Is

Yes, I am in downtown Chicago every day of the week for work and school but don't normally go in on the weekends. This weekend me and the hubby took a trip down to see the Art Institute and the architecture. When we got there is wasn't open yet so we stood outside long enough for me to find this:
Can't quite see why this no parking sign is interesting? Lets take a closer look:

Talk about knitting upholstery, some one made a sock for this sign post. True I'm pretty sure it is crochet and not knit but still, quite impressive. Whoever made this must have made it right on the pole, maybe everyday while waiting for the light (quite along light since it is Michigan Ave) they chained on a new row? (or whatever the correct crocheting term for another row is)
Found this inside the Art Institute, it used to be a panel under a stair railing,
This would make a very nice stitch pattern. I'm now going to try to invent such a thing. Cables and yarn overs all in one, this will make a very nice pot holder.
Also, can you say Native American quilt?
The repetition of basically the same design reminded me of exactly a quilt. This is painted on a animal skin but still looks of the thing. The sign on the wall says that it was actually a partition to separate off a holy room for the chief or something like that. I didn't read that far in because me and hubby started arguing about whether it was outside-inside wall or inside-inside wall. The sign clearly said inside-inside (without using those exact words but the point was pretty clear) but sometimes men just don't listen.

After the Art Institute we stepped right into the 1950's. This is Patty Burger just a half block down Adams. It has a very small street front but the colors were just to much to pass up. I didn't actually now the decade we were traveling to but my mom-in-law confirmed the date. Very good food.

No comments: