Wednesday, July 16, 2008

I love No. 6 needles

I'm now working on a hoodie for my nephew. (it's so weird that I'm an aunt. I still don't feel grown up, nor do I want to be but for some reason I am now or at least am considered to be. When I first met my hubby his sister was pregnant and her baby boy was our ring bearer in our wedding. Not that he actually made it down the aisle, daddy did not go with him since daddy was a groomsman so nephew started yelling and was taken out side so grandpa who was to walk with him had to be the ring bearer.) But anyway my nephew is going to turn 3 this year and so far I have only knitted him a blanket for his first b-day.

THE PATTERN

I found this pattern on raverly. I'm not going to put in the cardinal b/c the hubby will turn it down. Any patterns on anything knit is too girly for any nephew of his to wear. Also, I'm not all that into knitting with colors. I really prefer to make something a solid color, it looks more professional to me. I did however like the accent color along the hemming and am going to use that.

THE GREAT THINGS ABOUT THIS PATTERN

This pattern is really cool like that, it has a hem and an accent turning ridge and the pocket is knitting into the front instead of sewn in later. I've never done any of this stuff and now I'm like, why didn't I do this before? I'm slightly disappointed that the hood isn't picked up along the neckline but it is instead knitted separately and then sewn in. I'm figuring that I will fix this. This might be much more difficult than the other changes I'm making in the pattern since the hood it knitted from the top down (which is why it is knitted separately) so that the hemming can be done in the same way as the other parts of the hoodie.

WIP

Here is the work in progress (and why I love no. 6 needles):




I had been using no. 3 needles and fine yarn for so long that I forgot a project could go quickly. (ok I'm exaggerating but this is why I will never be able to get into knitting socks) I already finished the back in ONLY 3 DAYS!!! (and this is without extra time put in other than my commute)

No comments: