Thursday, July 10, 2008

Like seated

Today I have final found someone else who wants to make a chair cover too! I wanted to add this pattern to my projects on Raverly and see what other people had started to do and could not believe that no one had started this project yet and it was not even there! The book was there and several of the other patterns were to but not this one. It made me so sad. Anyway, the story of the book.

The story

I was in a bookstore that was going out of business (or maybe not, it has been saying this for about 6 months now) and of course I was looking for some knitting books (and still go there once a month because they are still getting new books and ever thing is 40% off since they are 'going out of buisness'). The only knitting book I found on this particular trip was this. This first several patterns were not my kind of thing and I almost put it down and left but then I got to the Aran Armchair Cover!!!





Why this joy?

I have an Ikea tub chair (as in the pattern) and had always wanted to sew a slip cover for it (one New Years Eve I got black silly string all over it and it stained badly) but my sewing skills are not much up to par. When I saw this I totally freaked, immediately bought the book and then called every one I know (they of course thought I was crazy), ran to a computer and bought a 5.5 lb cone of cotton yarn on ebay. Here is my chair and the cone of yarn.


The yarn

This cone of yarn makes me sooooooooo happy. It is the size of a basketball. I was throwing it around like one when I first got it and my hubby just rolled his eyes. He has slightly gotten used to my happiness over new yarn. The pattern calls for wool to keep to the tradition of aran sweaters but 1) wool is to expensive for me to make something so big and 2) wool is to itchy for me sit on if my skin is to ever touch it. I am worried about the particular cotton substitution because of its gauge. The beauty of the pattern being for my chair is that I wouldn't have to mess with the stitch count. This yarn is fairly thin and I have yet to make a swatch for fear of the results. When I do start to knit this (after my baby marathon and the potholders for Christmas and the dress of joy, more to come on these all) I will post my findings on the yarn gauge and how wonderful this pattern is surly to be.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi! I like you feel in love with the patten - did the tension square hey presto! bought all the wool and now I seem to be having problems following the pattern, I've been knitting for 20 years - using patterns - but the bits are coming out too bug, and the instructs are confusing - increase every 5th row at the beginning of row - each increase must be on same side - cant be done! did you manage to knit it - did it work? can you help me - I cant seem to find anyone whos made it, I've even emailed Erika but had no reply...